Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Wiggling

This was the most challenging part of the entire process. I found so many wonderful sites that it became overwhelming. After speaking with my friends at Smalls and Chesterton Feed and Garden, I had an idea of what I wanted in my backyard. So I revisited the sites that I bookmarked using Delicious and kept the ones that met my needs. The sites needed to provide any or all of the following:

1. Information on Perennials
2. Information on Shrubs
3. Pricing
4. Hardiness
5. Size of my choices
6. Tips on planting
7. Tutorials on how to build a paver patio
8. References and /or a bibliography

The sites that made the cut can be viewed at:
http://www.delicious.com/KristineArthur

3 comments:

  1. I am posting to my own blog, strange as it is. I wanted to be sure to share that the websites that made the cut were those that had the five critical criteria as established by Jim Kapoun:
    Accuracy
    Authority
    Currency
    Objectivity
    Coverage

    I looked very closely at the coverage and authority. In other words, who or what organization developed the content of the website and how did that information compare to what I found out through interviewing the local landscapers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of the searches that I performed were pretty specific. Within the websites I searched terms such as: perennials, perennials for the sun, preparing the soil for perennials, hardy shrubs, paver patios, how-to-tutorial on paver patios. Some searches went much better than others. Just perennials is too vague and I got too extensive of a list. For example, I need to find perennials that not only work well in the sun but also are appropriate for my zone (5). So I refined my searches based on everything I learned from my interviews.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought it was great that you listed your criteria for determining the worth of a website. I think that is so important for students. They can come up with the craziest sources and they think that since they found it on the web it must be good. The criteria you listed can certainly be a resources for students when working on mastering some of the Standards for the 21st Century Learner.

    ReplyDelete